KSTK-FM is a community supported public radio station that serves Wrangell and the surrounding Stikine River area. Founded in 1977, KSTK provides local, regional, statewide and national news coverage as well as a variety of radio programs that are informative and entertaining. KSTK offers N.P.R. programming and is a member of the Alaska Public Radio Network. KSTK hosts a wide variety of music shows featuring local volunteer dejay’s that dish up hearty servings of the blues, classic rock, pop, adult alternative, classical, bluegrass, folk and country music both old and new. Whether listening for news, entertainment or music, KSTK offers something for every listener.
General Manager Job Opening:
Wrangell Radio Group is seeking a General Manager for KSTK, a member-supported public radio station in Wrangell, Alaska. The GM is responsible for the leadership and management of KSTK, with attention to operational efficiency through strategic planning, budget oversight, and collaboration with multiple agencies. As a highly visible community leader, it is expected that the General Manager will provide exceptional effort in the fundraising activities of KSTK, improve community engagement and advocate KSTK’s mission, both locally and regionally.
We are looking for an energetic person with a high level of personal integrity and motivation who has:
- A bachelor’s degree in Broadcasting, Communications, Management, or related field, with three years of experience in radio broadcasting is required. Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- Experience in radio broadcasting, with public broadcasting experience preferred.
- Knowledge of the public radio program delivery systems and satellite delivery systems a plus.
- The ability to articulate enthusiasm for public broadcasting.
- Strong management and leadership background with ability to foster a professional and cooperative work environment.
- Significant experience related to fundraising programs and activities.
- Experience in facilities management.
- The ability to work well under reporting and grant timeline pressure.
- The ability to work with Staff, Board of Directors, Community Advisory Board, and Volunteers in a professional and cooperative manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Effective interpersonal, leadership and organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task a must.
- Position responsibilities include:
- Overall management of KSTK staff, including supervision, motivation, training and performance evaluation.
- Leading role in soliciting funds for KSTK, including membership pledge drives, direct mail campaigns, underwriting, grants, major giving, and special events fundraising.
- Maintaining FCC compliance and CPB regulations and reporting.
- Budget development and management.
- Developing new services, including KSTK’s online content and improving connectivity with members.
- Working closely with regional staff to implement cost saving measures and operational efficiencies.
- Managing KSTK facilities; including studios and offices building, transmitter sites and adjoining rental properties.
- Administering grants and contracts with federal, state, and other agencies.
- Representing KSTK to industry organizations and to the public.
- KSTK is a member of CoastAlaska, Inc., a regional non-profit public broadcasting organization consisting of seven stations. CoastAlaska provides administrative, financial, development, engineering and technical support services to member stations. KSTK is locally owned and operated with support from CoastAlaska. KSTK is a member of National Public Radio, Public Radio International and the Alaska Public Radio Network.
- KSTK enjoys strong community support and has many volunteers providing content and fundraising support. Wrangell is an island community, in Southeast Alaska, of approximately 2100 people. The climate is wet and surprisingly mild. Mountains, water and rainforest dominate the landscape. Wildlife and recreational opportunities abound.
- Salary range is $46,000-$56,000 with competitive benefits package.
- Closing Date: June 7, 2013
- For a position description or to apply, send cover letter, resume, and references to: Amber Al-Haddad, KSTK Board Chair, at email@example.com
KSTK is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women and minorities to apply.
General Manager Job Description:
Provides leadership, innovation, and inspiration in the daily life of KSTK and the Wrangell Radio Group. Oversees and directs all radio station activities, staff, and volunteers. Assigns job responsibilities to staff. Works to ensure that the Goals and Objectives of the Board of Directions, Wrangell Radio Group and the Community Advisory Board are carried out. Works to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Works to provide a supportive environment to ensure the quality of work of all staff and volunteers. Works to meet the goals of the KSTK Strategic Plan. Works to continually improve and maintain the KSTK website. Performs other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Financial Officer: Serves as the Financial Director for the Board of Directors to ensure financial stability through sound resource management. Manages the cash assets of the Organization, including payables and receivables, payroll and benefits, and purchasing within the parameters set by the Board and its fiscal agent, CoastAlaska, Inc. Communicates effectively with Coast Alaska’s accounting staff and reviews financial statements prepared by CoastAlaska staff along with the corporate treasurer to ensure accuracy. Processes monetary receipts and membership payments in a timely manner. Prepares and submits annual budget and mid-year budget revision to the Board with the Board packet for the January and May regular meetings. With help from corporate treasurer, prepares and submits a quarterly budget report to the Board.
Personnel Administrator: Ensures that Organization’s Personnel Policies are implemented. Approves hiring and firing of all employees and volunteers; sets salaries and determines increases and promotions within the limits of the CoastAlaska Pay Plan. Administers employee benefits program in accordance with the regional plan. Conducts evaluations for new employees and annual evaluations for all employees thereafter. Submits all employee evaluations to the Board President for review and completion of, to complete evaluation process. Manages KSTK recruiting. Promotes and manages a Volunteer program. Seeks funds and opportunities for staff training programs.
Development Supervisor: Responsible for maintaining a development program that financially supports station operations through a variety of means, including grant programs, underwriting, membership, fundraising, special events, planned giving, investments and gaming. Supervises the Development Director. Works with KSTK staff and CoastAlaska, and the Development Director to compile membership funds, catalogue membership pledge paperwork, and process and record payments. Explores previously untapped opportunities for generating revenue.
Programming Supervisor: Ensures quality station programming that enlightens, informs, and promotes diverse voices and viewpoints within the community, through a variety of means, including involvement in programming decisions, programs and services, program schedules, on-air sound, satellite operations, music acquisition, and volunteer coordination. Supervises the Programming Director.
News Supervisor: Responsible for maintaining quality, local and regional news, that enlightens, informs and promotes diverse voices and viewpoints. Supervises the News Department.
Facilities Manager: Responsible for assuming or delegating the duties of the Chief Operator as defined by the Federal Communications Commission. In conjunction with CoastAlaska engineering department, ensures proper maintenance, cleaning, and upkeep of station broadcast and office equipment. Coordinates maintenance of the KSTK building, exterior grounds and associated facilities. Ensures that staff, volunteers, and community members have a safe, clean, and sanitary environment. Responsible for planning and developing a long range plan for the technical capabilities of KSTK. Ensures proper maintenance and administers contract administration for the rental facilities. Provides continual evaluation of KSTK’s rental space for potential revenue stream.
Representation: Represents the interest of the Wrangell Radio Group, Inc. before the public and all other agencies and organizations. Promotes the mission of the station and the goals of CoastAlaska, Inc. Takes an active role in developing the cooperative objectives and direction of the Board of Directors and CoastAlaska, Inc., as well as maintaining the community esteem and financial stability of KSTK.
Board Communication: Works with the Board of Directors in Policy Development and enacting such policies. Prepares the Board of Directors Board Packet in conjunction with the Board President providing the agenda, meeting minutes, General Manager’s report, financial reports, revenue generation updates, and all information pertinent to conducting business at least eight (8) days prior to the scheduled meeting. Participates in development and maintenance of the Community Advisory Board (CAB) in conjunction with the CAB chair. Works in conjunction with the Board of Directors to maintain a Corporate Calendar, outlining but not limited to the following: dates for pledge drives, fundraising events, membership events, grant-related timelines, meetings of the Board of Directors and of the
Community Advisory Board. Provides a monthly General Manager’s report that includes but is not limited to the following: reports on any KSTK activities, up-to-date information of grant proposals, programming changes, website updates, equipment updates or repairs, and any sick leave taken in the previous month along with any projected leave needed for the next month.