Here is the weekly Recreation and Road report for May 22nd – May 29th.
- On Wrangell Island, there is a landslide across the Salamander Road 50050, which is blocking vehicle access to the Salamander Ridge Trailhead. The last ½ mile of the Fools Crossing Road 6273 is still closed to all traffic due to damage from landslides last fall.
- There is road damage from a small sink hole on FS Road 6259 at Pats Lake. The sink hole is marked but drivers should take caution. Repairs will be forthcoming.
- On Zarembo Island, log trucks are hauling from the 6585 Snow Pass road, 52026 High Road and the 52089 Zarembo Lake Road into the St Johns LTF.
- On Etolin Island, logging activity at Anita Bay is ongoing on the 6546 Mosman Road and there are log trucks hauling to the Anita Bay scale yard and dock area.
- In June, there will be trailwork occurring on the Institute Creek trail that will include helicopter slinging. The work area will start about a mile above the Rainbow Falls viewing platform, to the junction of the Institute and North Wrangell trails.
- We are asking for help from the public as our summer recreation season is starting. As you visit recreation sites and cabins early in the season, please notify us if you notice anything damaged or needing attention. Call the front desk at 874-2323 to report conditions.
- We would also like to remind everyone that ATV’s are restricted to use only on open roads and designated off road vehicle trails. This helps prevent erosion and resource damage. Motor Vehicle Use maps that show open roads are available for free at the Forest Service front desk.
- And as a courtesy to other forest users, please remember to remove debris from roadside firewood cutting away from the roadway and ditches.
- There will be a public meeting on the future of the Tongass cabin program on Thursday, May 31st at 7pm at the Nolan Center.
This announcement is courtesy of KSTK and your Wrangell Ranger District. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact the Wrangell Ranger District office at 907-874-2323.