This is the Recreation and Road report for June 19th – 26th.
- On Wrangell Island, there is a landslide across the Salamander Road 50050, which is blocking vehicle access to the Salamander Ridge Trailhead.
- Also watch for road blading occurring on Wrangell Island Forest Service roads.
- On Zarembo Island, log trucks are hauling from the 6585 Snow Pass road, 52026 High Road and the 52089 Zarembo Lake Road into the St Johns LTF.
- On Etolin Island, logging activity at Anita Bay is ongoing on the 6546 Mosman Road and there are log trucks hauling to the Anita Bay scale yard and dock area.
- There will be trail work occurring on the Institute Creek Trail from June 18th –June 28th. The work area will start about a mile above the Rainbow Falls viewing platform, to the junction of the Institute and North Wrangell trails.
- Due to reduced budgets, the Forest Service is not guaranteeing a supply of firewood at cabins and campsites at this time, except at Middle Ridge Cabin, which is stocked with firewood supplied by the Stikine Sportmens Association.
- The former Binkley Slough recreation cabin is for sale on the General Services Administration website until June 21st, which can be found at https://gsaauctions.gov/.
- Prior to the high use visiting season at Anan, the staff periodically stay at Anan to complete work to open the site. If you go to Anan this month, you may encounter work crews clearing trail or getting the viewing deck ready for visitors this season. The district plans to begin staffing Anan full time starting Saturday, June 30th.
- Requests for the lottery of the 4 daily Anan Permits are being accepted in-person at the Wrangell District front desk. A schedule for requesting dates and more details on this process can be found by contacting the front desk at 874-2323. Permits for some days are also still available on www.recreation.gov.
- Families are welcome to join us for Read with a Ranger on Fridays in June & July from 10:30-11:30 am at the Irene Ingle Public Library. The topic for Friday June 22nd is predators. Remember that children can sign up for the library’s summer reading program to receive AR points for the books we will be reading.
- Also join us at the Nemo Host Site for the weekly potluck & Campfire program this Friday, June 22nd as we give an update on activities going on at the Forest Service this year. The Nemo Host Site is the first developed site on the Nemo Recreation Loop, approximately 15 miles south of Wrangell. The potluck begins around 6pm. All are welcome.
- And join us for the Family Fishing Day at Pats Lake this Saturday June 23rd from 10 am to 2pm. There will be lots of fun activities for families, including trout fishing, games, fish print t-shirts, lunch and prizes!
This announcement is courtesy of KSTK and your Wrangell Ranger District. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact the Wrangell Ranger District office at 907-874-2323.