This is the Weekly Recreation and Road report for April 30th through May 7th, 2019
- On Wrangell Island, the roads to major recreation sites are clear and passable, including the mainline McCormack Creek Road 6265, Nemo Loop Road 6267, the Fools Road 6270& the 50060 Road to Middle Ridge Cabin.
- On Zarembo Island, there is log yarding and hauling activity from the Mustang Lakes area to St. Johns Harbor on the mainline road 6590 and on the 52089 Zarembo Lake Road into St Johns.
- It’s spring! It’s time to enjoy the outdoors and go out the road and get projects done. But after a hard day’s work, let’s remember to still clean up after ourselves. For instance, there has been a noticeable uptick in the quantity of debris and slash material from firewood cutting left in the road and filling the ditches. This debris can affect how well the road drains and even lead to erosion and potential washouts. Next time you are out cutting firewood next to the road, please remember to remove your large woody debris from the road and the ditches.
- The Forest Service is asking for help from the public as the season is starting. As you visit recreation sites and cabins early in the season, please notify the Wrangell Ranger District if you notice anything damaged or needing attention. Call the front desk at 874-2323 to report conditions.
- Due to reduced budgets & staffing, the Forest Service is not guaranteeing a supply of firewood at cabins and campsites right now, except at Middle Ridge Cabin.
- The Alaska Department of Fish & Game will give a presentation on their ongoing bat research in Wrangell & Southeast Alaska on Monday, May 6th, at 6:30pm at the Wrangell Ranger District Office.
- Executive Director of Terra Peninsular, Cesar Guerrero, will give a presentation on conserving shorebirds in Baja California on Wednesday, May 8th, at 7pm at the Nolan Center.
This announcement is courtesy of KSTK and your Wrangell Ranger District. Thanks for listening. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact the district office at 907-874-2323.