This is the weekly Recreation and Road report for June 25th– July 2nd.
- On Zarembo Island, road brushing will be ongoing for most of the summer.
- On Zarembo Island, there is log yarding and hauling activity from the Mustang Lakes area to St. Johns Harbor on the mainline road 6590 and on the 52089 Zarembo Lake Road into St Johns.
- Our recreation crew is now out working on our sites, but we still appreciate public reports. As you visit recreation sites and cabins, please notify us if you notice anything damaged or needing attention. Call the front desk at 874-2323 to report conditions.
- Due to reduced budgets & staffing, the Forest Service is not able to guarantee a supply of firewood at cabins and campsites right now, except at Middle Ridge Cabin.
- We would also like to provide a reminder that use of fireworks is not allowed on National Forest lands.
Anan Wildlife Observatory:
- Prior to the high use visiting season, the Anan staff periodically stay at Anan to complete work to open the site. If you go to Anan this month, you may encounter work crews clearing trail or getting the viewing deck ready for visitors this season. The district plans to begin staffing Anan full time starting July 1st.
- Permits for Anan are required starting July 5th. Requests for the lottery of the last 4 daily permits are being accepted in-person at the Wrangell District front desk. A schedule for requesting dates and more details on this process can be found by contacting the front desk at 874-2323.
- A new program aimed at toddler & preschool aged children and their caregivers is starting up this summer. Tongass Tots will meet on Wednesday mornings from 10-11am at various locations around town. Wednesday, June 26th we will meet at the Volunteer Park Nature Trail, but there will be no program July 3rd. Remember to dress for the weather!
- Families are welcome to join us for Read with a Ranger on Fridays in June & July from 10:30-11:30 am at the Irene Ingle Public Library. The theme for Friday, June 28th will be dinosaurs. There will be no program on July 5th.
- Also join us at the Nemo Host Site for the weekly Friday night Campfire Program on June 28th. The program will be on fueling aircraft in Alaska. The Nemo Host Site is the first developed site on the Nemo Recreation Loop, approximately 15 miles south of Wrangell. The potluck begins around 6pm. All are welcome.
This announcement is courtesy of your Wrangell Ranger District. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact our office at 907-874-2323.