This is your weekly Recreation and Road report for July 9th – July 16th.
- On Zarembo Island, road brushing will be ongoing for most of the summer.
- On Zarembo Island, there is log yarding and hauling activity from the Mustang Lakes area to St. Johns Harbor on the mainline road 6590 and on the 52089 Zarembo Lake Road into St Johns.
- The outhouse at Lower Salamander Campground is out of service to repair rotten wood in the back wall, but is anticipated to be back in service by approximately July 12th.
- Our recreation crew is now out working on our sites, but we still appreciate public reports. As you visit recreation sites and cabins, please notify us if you notice anything damaged or needing attention. Call the front desk at 874-2323 to report conditions.
- Due to reduced budgets & staffing, the Forest Service is not able to guarantee a supply of firewood at cabins and campsites right now, except at Middle Ridge Cabin.
- During the spell of dry weather we had recently, a small wildfire started on the southern tip of Wrangell Island. While this fire was ignited by lightning, it should serve as a reminder to be careful with our campfires, even in the rainforest. Also remember that the use of fireworks is not allowed on National Forest lands.
Anan Wildlife Observatory:
- Permits for visiting Anan are required from July 5th until August 25th. Requests for the lottery of the last 4 daily permits are being accepted in-person at the Wrangell District front desk. A schedule for requesting dates and more details on this process can be found by contacting the front desk at 874-2323.
- A new program aimed at toddler & preschool aged children and their caregivers is starting up this summer. Tongass Tots will meet on Wednesday mornings from 10-11am at various locations around town. On Wednesday, July 10th, they will be meeting at Volunteer Park, and they will be meeting at City Park on July 17th. Remember to dress for the weather!
- Families are welcome to join us for Read with a Ranger on Fridays in June & July from 10:30-11:30 am at the Irene Ingle Public Library. The theme for Friday, July 12th will be stars and space.
- Also join us at the Nemo Host Site for the weekly Friday night Campfire Program on July 12th for forest trivia night. The Nemo Host Site is the first developed site on the Nemo Recreation Loop, approximately 15 miles south of Wrangell. The potluck begins around 6pm and the program starts at 7pm.
This announcement is courtesy of your Wrangell Ranger District. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact our office at 907-874-2323.