Recreation and Road report for July 23rd-July 30th.
- On Zarembo Island, road brushing will be ongoing for most of the summer.
- On Zarembo Island, there is log yarding and hauling activity from the Mustang Lakes area to St. Johns Harbor on the Mainline road 6590 and on the 52089 Zarembo Lake Road into St Johns.
- On Etolin Island, there is road clearing activity around Anita Bay for future logging operations.
- The Forest Service recreation crew is now out working on sites, but they still appreciate public reports. As you visit recreation sites and cabins, please notify the Wrangell Ranger District if you notice anything damaged or needing attention.
- Due to reduced budgets & staffing, the Forest Service is not able to guarantee a supply of firewood at cabins and campsites right now, except at Middle Ridge Cabin.
Anan Wildlife Observatory:
- Permits for visiting Anan are required from July 5th until August 25th. Requests for the lottery of the last 4 daily permits are being accepted in-person at the Wrangell District front desk. A schedule for requesting dates and more details on this process can be found by contacting the Forest Service front desk at 874-2323.
- Tongass Tots is a new program aimed at children aged 2-6 with their caregivers that meets on Wednesday mornings from 10-11am at various locations around town. On Wednesday, July 24th, they will be meeting at Volunteer Park and they will be meeting at City Park on July 31st. Remember to dress for the weather!
- Families are welcome to the last Read with a Ranger program for the summer this Friday July 26th from 10:30-11:30 am at the Irene Ingle Public Library. Smokey Bear will join this week in honor of Bearfest. Also during BearFest, the Forest Service will be outside the Nolan Center on Saturday July 27th from 10 – noon for bear themed kid’s games and crafts.
- Everyone is welcome to the Nemo Host Site for the weekly Friday night potluck on the 26th. The Nemo Host Site is the first developed site on the Nemo Recreation Loop, approximately 15 miles south of Wrangell. The potluck begins around 6pm, and there will be no Campfire Program this week.
This announcement is courtesy of KSTK and your Wrangell Ranger District. Thanks for listening. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact the Wrangell Ranger District Office at 907-874-2323.