Recreation and Road Report for May 27th– June 3rd.
- The Nemo Loop (FS 6267), Mainline Road to Earl West (FS 6265) & Fools Road (FS 6270) are clear of snow, though low clearance vehicles should be cautious of some ruts. The road to Middle Ridge Cabin (FS 50060) is also clear of snow.
- Watch for road brushing on the Mainline Road (6265), Nemo Loop (6267), and Pat’s Lake Road (6259). Also watch for the WCA road crew doing maintenance work along island roads.
- On Zarembo Island, there is log haul from the Zarembo Lake Road (FS 52026) & FS Road 52014 to St. Johns.
Recreational & Stewardship Reminders:
- Forest recreation sites are open to enjoy, but please continue following Borough & State COVID-19 health guidance and mandates. (www.wrangellcovid19.org)
- Forest Service public recreation cabins are open, and still need to be reserved and paid for online at recreation.gov. The cabin fees help pay for their maintenance, and higher reservation numbers are important to keeping the cabin program going.
- Please continue to pack out what you pack into recreation sites; this is even more important now in ensuring the health & safety of the recreating public.
- Even though we live in a rainforest, wildfires have started during spells of dry summer weather in the past. Please remember to be careful with campfires and make sure they are out cold before leaving your site.
- As you visit recreation sites and cabins early in the season, please notify us if you notice anything damaged or needing attention. Call the front desk at 874-2323 to report conditions.
- Firewood is not guaranteed at cabins and campsites right now, except at Middle Ridge Cabin.
- Federal subsistence harvest permits are being issued through the mail. Qualified federal subsistence users wanting to receive a federal harvest permit for fish or wildlife should call the front desk at 874-2323.